Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Beginning of Something New


I don’t know what happened last Christmas. Why on earth did I google ”50’s dress” some time before midnight? Little did I know what would follow. At first I founded a dress I wanted to wear for my university graduation next fall. And then my wedding dress (no husband at sight, but anyway!). And then I kind of forgot the whole thing.

I’ve never been a ”vintage person”. I’ve always admired corsets and loved the empire style of Jane Austen movies. But to intentionally wear the style of a different era in modern everyday life – that’s something I’ve never understood. Let alone thought I could do it!

However, the pictures of the 50’s dresses I’d googled kept coming back to my mind. After some weeks and endless hours with google, I found myself dreaming of saying goodbye to my wardrobe filled with jeans and other casual clothes of today and the last ten years. I want to start wearing dresses with a real waistline and beautiful petticoats. I want my clothes to have the style and elegance of the old days – not sure yet what exactly those ”old days” might be. I’ve never really had a style – casual miscellaneous doesn’t count – and now I would like to find one. This blog is my journey towards a new style in clothes and maybe in life overall. A style that appreciates the old days and hopefully relects something of the person I am or want to be.


Yours truly

Nelly

How it all began… My graduation dress-to-be


And an idea for my wedding dress

Both dresses by Vivien of Holloway





No comments: